Monday 8 September 2008

Individuality within the group situation

The reason for me why groups can be so strong is that not everyone needs to be good in everything or able to do (dare) everything.

The openness within the group as well as its diversity matched really well I think with the cross training method. That way of training helped me to be open for new experiences every day, in training but also towards the others. It taught me how to accept the differences in skills and knowledge of us performers. And I realised as well that each person needed a ‘special’ situation/atmosphere/feeling to show his/her strength.

The focus on individuality + group started to fascinate me and allowed me to stay true to myself, but also be open to learn from others. It definitely helped me to trust myself more and made me realise how important it was that each one of us had strengths and weaknesses. And, that there was nothing wrong with that, but only accepting that fact would make me a good performer. Patience then (towards others and myself) was a skill I developed further.



Group as I understand it now is a shifting situation where everyone finds a certain place but can also break out from it.

The group situation became a safe place for me in the sense that I knew that whatever I did differently in a performance we would find a way out of it. That I felt so safe was something I realised in Panos’ class, when we were running as fast as we could (eyes closed) towards the group. It surprised me how I could just go for it without doubting whether I would get caught/saved. The group became a very strong element as through our range of skills the possibilities of how to work became enormous. Working in smaller groups brought up the different approaches being used and therefore allowed me to try out things in new and unfamiliar ways.

The 3 weeks definitely offered us space to find ways of honestly presenting ourselves in front of the audience. For example, the Quizoola! made me realise that I did not need to cover my real self with some kind of spectacular story or lie, but that I could be honest, say things as they were, and be confident that no one would judge me for that.

So, then, in improvised sections of the piece, the thought ‘why are you not doing this?’ came up less and less. Either I just did something, or I just accepted that I was not involved. As an MC I tried to ask questions that somehow made sense and stopped worrying about being ‘inventive’. Of course every day was different, and sometimes I handled those kind of situations better than other times…

SUSANNE

No comments: